Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"Life's a Beach"

On Sunday morning at 2:00 AM, I heard moaning from my Dad's room. I rushed in to find him prostrate on the floor, his left arm bleeding and his speech slurred. My son and I managed to get him seated, but it was obvious, something was dreadfully wrong.

I have no idea how long he had lain on the floor. We noticed that the left side of his mouth was sagging and he was constantly moving and waving his left arm. Eva felt he had had a stroke. He is now in the hospital going through numerous tests and only God knows where we will be going from here.

He is an amazing man. Would that I were only half the man he is. He has a strong personal constitution and seems determined to "hang in there." But the most precious moment happened when Ben and I managed to get him seated after his fall. He looked up at me and managed to say, "Big Guy, life's a beach!!"

Yes, Dad. Life with you is a beach: the comforting warmth of sun and sand... the coolness and refreshment of breeze and surf...knowing that you are always there to make sure I am safe and able to savor it all.

4 comments:

Vicki G. said...

We will be praying for Dyda. Keep us posted.

Laura said...

Wow. What a man.

Goodnight, Mom said...

Can't wait to see you and my roomie tomorrow!

-K

Anonymous said...

What an amazing man! I do not have grandparents so I live vicariously through your family. I could only pray that I have a lovely man like Dyda in my life some day. He will be in my prayers.